1st Philippine Star Ball








Covering ballroom dance competion is one of the most difficult events to cover in photography. Febuay 16, 2008 saw me busy at the Crown Plaza (in Ortigas) covering the 1st Philippine Star Ball competition. This prestigious event is liken to the Olympics of ballroom dancing. Armed with my Nikon, my favorite glass was the humble Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. What makes this event a nightmare was that the many competitors are occupying (dancing) the dance floor simultaneously with some judges on the floor! I was practically sitting on the carpet beside the dance floor with no elbowroom because the VIP guests were crowding ever nearer to the floor. To make matters worse, One of the English judge stood on the dance floor-right infront of my view most of the time. Dance photographer Carlo Villongco bought a step ladder to have a different vantage point. Because ABS-CBN channel 2 TV was covering the event, Carlo had only one unique spot where to mount his ladder away from the TV cams and audiences' view. Here are some of my photos. Enjoy!